Translate

Share and Like It if you enjoy my Blog. Thank you very much!

Search the Corner

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Millionaires Game Revisits



I’m not a big fan of board games but I do appreciate them very much. I would love to play one every ones in a while for times when I need to take a break on video games. One of them was Monopoly where I still clearly remember it was our favorite past time of my friends back when we were in 3rd grade. And there’s the usual board game like Scrabble and Chess. Then there’s Millionaires Game that I know its also quite notable before on par with Monopoly but I didn’t played it that much and I barely knew how to played it nor what differs it in Monopoly. So it was one of those very few board games that I didn’t played much.

Just last few weeks my sister bought a Millionaires Game (She suppose to buy Monopoly but it was surprisingly pricey even to this day). So, of course I got interested, its been a looong time since I last played a board game and its my chance now to finally played the Millionaires Game at full and give my thoughts on it.


So, for everybody who knew about this board game let me refresh you on how this game is played. The rules are pretty much easy to follow. It may be complicated at first especially if you read the instruction thoroughly but once you played it in actual, it’s actually easy to follow. If you’re familiar with Monopoly, it plays almost the same with few differences in some manner.

  • One of the players shall act as a Player-Banker.
  • Players will start off in $1500 in denomination of 1 pc $500, 6 pcs $100, 4 pcs $50, 5 pcs 20, 7 pcs $10, 5 pcs $5 and 5 pcs $1.
  • Players will cycle through the board counter-clockwise using 2 pieces of dice. They will use 2 dice to roll and the total number got in the roll of both dice will be the player’s number of moves.
  • The board is consisting of few elements (1) Residential Lot (2) Commercial Establishment (3) Public Utility Company and (4) Service Firm. These are spaces that players can purchase and own and where play-houses are set-up.
    • Residential Lot spaces are divided into 2 groups according to its color – Green and Blue. Player lands in an unoccupied Residential property will have the right to purchase it. If the player is unable to buy the property, it will now be auction to other players starting with a bid not lower than the mortgage value. The property is sold to the highest bidder. Players who own a Residential property is entitled to receive rentals from other players whose happens to land in the said property. The rent is half of property’s morgaga value.
    • Commercial Establishment, Public Utility Company and Service Firm are considered as Business Establishments. Unlike Residential properties, Business properties are always put into auction for all players whenever any players lands into it for the first time. The bid starts of not lower than its mortgage value and it is sold to the highest bidder. Players who own a Business property is entitled to received a fixed amount of rentals from other player whose happen to land in the said property
  • Players can mortgage his Residential (including houses on them)/Business properties if needed. In this process, player will surrender his/her Title Deed Card of Residential/business property that he/she wanted to mortgage to the bank. The bank will hand over the loan to the player. The loan is equal to the total mortgage values of the mortgaged property. The bank shares half of the income derived from the mortgaged properties. The other half remains to the player. The sharing arrangement will continue until the player repays his loan with the bank. When the loan is paid, the Title Deed Card is returned to the player.
  • Player can also do direct sale of property to other players. In this case, the player shall act as his own auctioneer. Bid may start with any amount. Property will be sold to the highest bidder but the owner has the right not to sell the property if he considers the highest bid to be unsatisfactory. If the bid is accepted, the owner hands over the Title Deed Card and play-house (if there’s any) to the new owner. The new owner then surrenders the play-house to the bank which replaces it with one of the same color as the new owner. The bank charges $2 for every play-house replacement.
  • Any actions pertaining to mortgaging or lifting of mortgage is done only when it is the turn of the player. Purchasing additional houses to a particular Residential property is done only if the player land on that said property.
  • Spaces like State Hospital and the Pacific Railroad Co are businesses owned by the bank. When a player lands on a lot space occupied by either one, he has to pay the bank the fixed amount indicated on the lot spaces. Chance spaces are those red-colored spaces that are not owned by anyone. When players land on it, he pays to OR receives from the bank the fixed amount indicated on that space.
  • On every player’s cycle on the board and returned back to the starting position, they receive $500 from the bank.
  • Whenever a player rolls a double in his turn, he is entitled to draw one card from the Good Luck cards and this he shows to everyone. Good Luck cards is use only once in a game and is returned to the bank or surrendered to the owner of the business after its use as the case may be. Player should immediately comply with the instructions indicated to the card he/she draw.
  • When a player has acquired at least 10 of the properties with the same group indicator, he/she is said to have a “Monopoly” of this group of properties. When player has this, he is entitled to collect from other players who happen to land on his property twice the usual amount of rental that is normally charged.
  • The game ends when the banker declares a player bankrupt or when the bank runs out of play-money. After the game is declared ended, each player should count all his play-money, adding to it the total mortgage value of all his properties on hand. The player with biggest asset is declared the WINNER.


So that’s all the general instructions on how to play the Millionaires game. It’s pretty much easy to learn and it’s definitely fun to play and by my first impression, the overall gameplay really almost resembles the Monopoly game, in which it really made me wonder the origin of the Millionaires game.

I actually try to look for information and facts about this board game and for some reason I couldn’t find any on the net. I saw several board games having the same name but it wasn’t the same board game at all. I never actually got the information I need so I came down to the conclusion that the Millionaires game was actually another board game-imitation of Monopoly and it was probably Philippine made. Somebody in the forums also told me that the Millionaires game was a clone of Monopoly and he also thought that it was locally made. So, that’s the closest answer I could get on why Millionaires game almost share the same gameplay as the Monopoly. 

Nevertheless, Millionaires Game is a good board game. It may not be as widely popular compare to the Parker Brother's Monopoly game, I believe it became one of the favorite board games here in the Philippines where its much appreciated.

The Millionaires Game is created by Mabuhay Educational Center, Inc. This board game is still very much available up to this point. It is still widely purchase at Philippine's popular Bookstore chain - National Bookstore. It's still a bit pricey though (around more than P400.00 or something). You may try to find other stores that sell it for a cheaper price

That's all for now.



Until then!

  

21 comments :

  1. Hey nice, I don't see many board game reviews theses days.

    My favorite is RISK, I have the full board, PC and compact version hehe ADIK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of RISK but never played nor saw it. Maybe I should check that out (^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if I've used all of my 10 play house and there's nothing left? How can I buy or Can I still buy new land property?

      Thankyou in advance. Please send me an e-mail at:

      bean_solsona@rocketmail.com -- yahoo

      Delete
  3. First, I thank you for the rules on how to play Millionaires Game, which I found recently in the house. Second, I hope you don't mind if I add the link of your post to mine about my Millionaires Game.

    I lose the instruction, and fortunately, you take the time to write about it. I think people can never outgrown board games.

    Looking forward for more of games here in your blog, even old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Caerol: Sure you can.. and thank you very much also for reading my blog. (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,can you help me i lost my goodluck cards can you send me the list of goodluck cards?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous:
    Well sure. I could help you with that. Would I also include the details of the cards? Just give me a time to write it down I might just probably do it in document file...

    Do you have an email? I'll just send the list from there.

    Thank you for reading my blog, btw. (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.., can u help me i lost my goodluck cards at Millionaires game..i really love it!!
    BTW, can u also send me a pictures of the moneys because i lost some of them, i cant find it at the google!..
    My EMail:
    (Cathy1cute@yahoo.com)
    Please send it to me as soon as possible!!...
    Thank you so much!...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, First i want to say Thank you.. for helping me :-) Mwa :-* But one thing i also want to know is How many denomination does each Play money have? Like how many does the real denomination of the $500? Thankyou.. I hope you'll help me into this :-) If not, Its also okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. where can u buy this except the philippines?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Vincent:
    I'm not really sure if Millionaires were available outside Philippines since it was a Monopoly clone after all...

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for refreshing me on this game!

    for people who want to buy it, they can at: http://www.nationalbookstore.com/shop/products.asp?merchant_code=NBS&categ=317&product=10930

    ReplyDelete
  12. pwede ba taung mag laro ng game board nayan ..... para mas lalu kaming m22 aks kulng bkit 4 houses sa isang title card and ung laro ba eh paunahan na makapag parami ng assets pnu pla naka land ako sa may houses ng iba mag babayad nba ako ng rent. and pnu pag wla pang my ari ng buss. and first time ka makakatapak dun mag babayad kba ?........


    maclester342000@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Josh,

    I just want to clarify something. If a player lands in a property w/ house/s, he/she will pay half of the property's morgage value plus (+) the rent of the house/s?

    Thank you in advance.

    bryan :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    i want to clarify about the using of houses. when will you use them? can you use those houses right after you bought a certain property or do you need to have like 3 properties first in order to put houses just like in Monopoly. Hoping for your reply! God Bless :)

    -jay

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi

    please send me the list of good luck card, title deed cards, and the whole clear image of the board, my mom trash my board and so i cant play it anymore, i want to create a new one.

    p.d.cabarle@gmail.com send here thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What if I've used all of my 10 play house and there's nothing left? How can I buy or Can I still buy new land property?

    Thankyou in advance. Please send me an e-mail at:

    bean_solsona@rocketmail.com -- yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. can i ask how many pieces are the small houses in the game board? i lost the copy for the game.. asap..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi what if I've used all my houses, does it mean that I can't build houses anymore? Also, if I bought a property should I automatically build one house? Thank you in advance if you'll be able to reply!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath,

      Thank you for visiting my blog site.

      The number of houses suppose to be exact to all properties, meaning each property have 4 houses in total so I think you shouldn't run out of houses for each property (unless you lose the house pieces, hehe).

      If I remember it right, once you bought a property you automatically have one house for that but correct me if I'm wrong about that. I remember in Monopoly once you bought a property, you don't have a house yet. You have to buy it first whereas at Millionaires game, the property will always have one house by default.

      Hope that's helps. Thanks again for reading my blog.

      Delete
  19. Hello: Your article is timeless. My family have settled to playing this on weekends, and is almost a family tradition. However, in the course of several plays during weekdays, without me as I am a working mom, my kids my have misplaced a few bills. Like JhaJha's question, may I know how many pieces are there in each denomination. How many are the 500s, 100s, and so on and so forth. I hope you can get back to me on this. You can also email me at ztipan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Suggestions.. Violent reactions?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...